High School Student
Timeline for Joining Air Force ROTC
Junior year – Focus on your school and get involved in your community!
Summer between Junior and Senior year – Begin your application for the Air Force ROTC High School Scholarship Program. The deadline to start the application is normally early December. There is more information about that program on this page.
Senior year – Finish your scholarship application as well as your college applications.
Summer after Senior year – Get in touch with the detachment to schedule your application/orientation time. The signup forms are on the interest tab of our website.
- Enrolled in an accredited college that hosts or has a crosstown agreement with an Air Force ROTC detachment.
- United States citizen or actively pursuing citizenship.
- In good physical condition.
- Of good moral character.
- 14 years or older (17 years old to receive a scholarship).
- Committed to attending both the aerospace studies class and Leadership Lab each semester.
Have further questions about the program? Fill out the interest form.
Current College Students
- Have at least 3 years remaining in college (some exceptions apply).
- Be enrolled in an accredited college that hosts or has a crosstown agreement with an Air Force ROTC detachment.
- Be a United States citizen or should be actively pursuing citizenship.
- Be in good physical condition.
- Be of good moral character.
- Be 14 years or older (17 years old to receive a scholarship).
- Be committed to attending the aerospace studies class, leadership lab, and physical training sessions each semester.
Steps to join for College Freshman/Sophomores (3 years remaining or more)
- Ensure your school is one of the schools listed in this brochure.
- Fill out the interest form to have your questions answered and/or the application form to schedule your application paperwork.
- Attend your application session and orientation and welcome!
Rising College Juniors, Seniors (2 years remaining or more)
- You may be eligible to join the program, however previously missed classes will have to be fulfilled in a shortened program. Additionally, the 2 year program is really for people with prior military experience.
- For more information and eligibility requirements please contact the detachment by phone at (301) 314-3242 or email email@example.com.
- You are currently ineligible for the program because you do not have enough time to complete the program.
- There are two options for you.
- Option 1: Extend your graduation date so you would be in the program at least 2 years, and that is only if you have prior military experience, otherwise it would be 3 years.
- Please contact an academic advisor and the detachment before pursuing this option.
- You can reach the detachment by phone at (301) 314-3242 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Option 2: Apply for Officer Training School (OTS) after graduation.
- OTS is a highly competitive, rigorous 9-week program offered to college graduates to provide a way to commission into the Air Force as a Second Lieutenant.
- If you are interested in this option, please contact a recruiter so they can provide you with all the information you need.